Monday, November 14, 2005

A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY...

There's no real reason for this entry. I just felt like it.

And why I love it ...

Way back in 1977, when I was but a wee sprout, rumor spread of a great new movie that, with little anticipation, had taken audiences by surprise and was conquering the world. You have to realize that, at that point, movies had become depressingly real and raw. There was a general tendency to show the ugliness in the world that had always been ignored before. We were paying the price for years of happy endings and propogandistic war movies. Films were now introducing us to the anti-hero, moral ambiguity, satire, irony, and unflinching views of death, drugs, war (especially Vietnam), and, basically, just how much life can suck. The days of the great Hollywood musical were long gone. The Western had become less adventure epic and more dark morality play. The old guard was challenged at every turn by rebellious anti-establishment newcomers. They were presenting everything on screen that could never be shown before - from Dustin Hoffman dying in a puddle of piss to Ned Beatty being raped by hillbillies to Slim Pickens riding a phallic A-bomb to its inevitable conclusion. About the most fun you could have at the cinema, back then, was when satanically possessed Linda Blair spewed vomit and profanities at priests (The Exorcist) or a great white shark ripped hapless swimmers and fishermen to shreds (Jaws).

My folks saw the movie before I ever did. I didn't feel like going out the night they went. I don't remember why. All I know is that they came back raving, and insisted I go and see this exciting, swashbuckling, outerspace dynamo of a film. But I thought, "What do parents know?" Then I began to hear talk on the playground; something about someone named Dark Vader. Who was this Dark Vader?

"He's a big black guy," said my friend, Larry. I pictured Geoffery Holder or James Earl Jones. I was partially right.

There was banter about something called "The Death Star" and talk of wookies, droids, and light sabers. It was like a different language, and I was beginning to feel left out.


So, of course, I went and saw it. I'm a little sorry I don't remember who I went with. It was a momentous ocassion for me, as it was for a lot of kids at that age, seeing "Star Wars" for the first time. I'd like to remember all the details, but unfortunately, I don't. It might have been with Garland; my best friend at the time. Or it might have been with my parents. I just don't remember. All I can recall is sitting in the darkness of the old Northpark I and II theater (a great place, gone forever) and seeing silent blue words appear on a black screen: A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ...
Oooooh..... mystery, intrigue ... I wondered what lay ahead. And then - BOOM! - a vast explosion of John Williams and the LSO as a calvacade of giant letters scrolled off into space beginning with EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE.

Episode ... IV? What happened to one through three?

There wasn't time to ponder this question, because the movie took off pretty fast. I sat there and watched it unfold. There was a rebellion, it seemed, because the galaxy was in danger from an evil empire. And when the "big black guy" first appeared, his aqualung breathing would forever after be his calling card (like that two note musical phrase that always announces the shark from "Jaws").

It was Darth, I discovered, and not Dark Vader. And he was not a black man. He was just in a scary black suit with a big black helmet and cape. But his voice sounded an awful lot like James Earl Jones.


Then there was little r2-d2, with his fussy robot sidekick c3p0. At first, I thought, for sure, the little droid was the story's main protagonist. I watched as a mysterious woman in the mists loaded a secret message into his memory. Then I followed him through the bleak deserts of Tatooine and saw him shanghaied by small, yellow-eyed scavengers. How cute, I thought. A movie about a funny, courageous little robot! But, of course, he was only leading us to the real hero; the fatherless, motherless, blond-haired, blue-eyed farm boy, Luke Skywalker.

I still think there's little in the movies to match that moment when Luke gazes up, longingly, at the two moons of Tatooine at dusk. He dreams of adventure and escape. The eternal yearning of youth.

Luke was the hero.

But he wasn't the star.

Not even the great Sir Alec Guiness, as decrepit Jedi mentor Obiwan Kenobi, could make that claim.


Not when Han Solo was so cool.
Not when Harrison Ford was, suddenly, the heir apparent to Errol Flynn and Douglas Fairbanks.
Not when he says things like, "Cheap parlour tricks and hokey religions are no match for a good blaster by your side." Or "Ain't no all powerful force controls my destiny." Or "Where did you dig up that old fossil?" Or "No reward is worth this!" Or "It was a boring conversation, anyway".

Or, finally, at long last:

"Hey Luke ...

...may the force be with you..."


That's one for the ages, people.


They cheered. That crowd went crazy when the Death Star (not a small moon, no way!) exploded into space dust. And Darth Vader, in his damaged tie-fighter, spun wildly into space leaving us open for a parade of sequels and prequels.

There was so much to wonder about. What was the secret of Luke's lineage? Who would the Princess choose - Luke or Han? How could they all be happy if she chose just one of them? And, since Darth Vader murdered Luke's dad (and now Obiwan, too), did that mean that Luke must avenge his father's betrayl, and his mentor's sacrifice, by killing Darth Vader?

By now, of course, all these questions have been answered.

The main thing, I think, was that people left the theater happy. We all went out with stupid grins on our faces and the word "Wow!" on our lips. The good guys won. And nobody overdosed on drugs, or stepped on a land mine in Vietnam, or got sodomized by the Clampetts.

Star Wars was proof that artistic greatness isn't necassarily reliant on heavy messages and unblinking views of life's harshness. Nor does popularity indicate a lack of merit. Annie Hall won the Oscar for Best Picture that year, but you tell me which movie has had the greater effect on the world's culture. I mean, seriously, you can say the words "Boba Phett" or "Tuscan Raider" or "Jabba the Hut" or "May the Force Be With You" almost anywhere on Earth, and people know exactly what you're talking about.

EPILOGUE: In the period following the release of Star Wars, as we awaited the next installment, my friends and I debated, over Luke and Vader action figures and repeated playings of the John Williams soundtrack, about what might happen next. There was a little Korean boy, named Tony, who insisted that Darth Vader was, in reality, Luke's father. We all laughed at that, because everybody knew that Obiwan had said, "A young Jedi named Darth Vader betrayed and murdered your father." How could Darth Vader be Luke's father if he was the one who killed Luke's father? "Gah! Tony you idiot!"

Last I heard, Tony got a near-perfect score on his SAT and ended up going to M.I.T.

The Force was strong with that one.

TODAY'S QUOTE: "Never tell me the odds!" --- Han Solo

7 Comments:

At 10:34 AM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, Han Solo is the best, isn't he?

It's kind of hard for me to imagine a world before Star Wars. I think it is just so ingrained in our conciousness, you know? And since I was born after three original movies were all released (ok, that's a lie by a day) it seems obvious to me that Darth Vader is Luke's father, Leia his sister, &c. Really, it is kind of dissapointing to not get to experience it that way. What a shock it must have been to discover those things... Well, not for Tony apparently.

My first crush was Bill Murray as Dr. Venkman in Ghostbusters.

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Benjamin said...

I love Bill Murray! The funniest man alive. But I developed a crush on Sigourney Weaver (not Bill) when I saw Ghostbusters. In a theater. In 1984.

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Junkill said...

I got an issue of the Star Wars comic book before I saw the movie. I was so intrigued (it was the part where Obi Wan finds Luke and the droids in the desert). I went to the film with about 6 friends.

I specifically remember thinking "this is pretty cool" right up to the part where they are at Obi-Wan's cottage and he tells Luke about the Force and the Jedi and all ... and then Luke fires up that light sabre.

Dude. It was magic. Utter magic.

BTW: this is a really well-written entry. I love the whole thing about how you compare the gritty, nassy movies of the early 70s (I mean, I love Dog Day Afternoon, but how bleak can you get!!!???) with the magical fun of Star Wars. Truly sterling work!

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger Benjamin said...

Thanks for the compliment, Junkill. And you're right. That light saber scene was incredible. Lucas did a great job of taking us to a mysterious place (Obiwan's lair) and having him tell the dark and sad story of Luke's father, just so he could set us up for the introduction to the light saber (the real star of that sequence, I think).
And I forgot to mention the big battle scene at the end. It was so great, so intense that we completely forgot all about Han Solo (maybe the girls didn't). When Darth Vader gets Luke in his sights and says, "I have you now!" all I was thinking was, what will Luke do? He's got to make a move and get out of there or he's toast. So completely had the battle distracted me that I was totally surprised when the Milleneum Falcon rose over that man-made horizon and blasted Vader into space.

My only complaint is that they didn't have an establishing shot of the Falcon rising over the Death Star behind Vader's tie-fighter. They just cut right to the Falcon's cockpit and Han saying, "Alright, Luke, let's blow this thing and go home!"
I long for a pull back from a close-up of Vader (as he relishes his quarry's demise) to show the Falcon rising up behind him. That would have been stirring.

By the way, I finally saw Episode 3, and I was most pleased. The lava fight scene between Anakin and Obiwan is a classic. Poor Anakin. When he's crawling up that slope, legless, glaring with bloodshot eyes, on fire from the lava, and still so filled with the dark side that he snarls "I hate you" at his jedi master --- I just got chills. There was a lot of emotion in this one. I like the fact that Obiwan and Padme don't actually have an affair. Anakin just thinks they do, because he's being taken by the dark side and his love for Padme has turned into jealously. I like the fact, also, that all of his hatred for Obiwan is based on misconceptions and deception. Poor guy. Good movie.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I actually am not a fan of the prequels. I don't know exactly why... Partly because they are a little silly sometimes, partly because of all the CG... I'm not into CG. The original three looked real, you know? Watching the prequels is almost like watching a cartoon.

Speaking of the prequels, though, Stevie has a picture of us with Ray Park somewhere and I need to get a copy of it from her. Man that was a good time^_^ It was at a Star Wars expo. See, we had gone around talking to all the guests (you know getting autographs and stuff?) the first day and then the last day we were there we went back to talk to Ray Park again and he totally remembered us from meeting us before and was really nice and took a picture with us and it was fun. Run on sentence, I know. Stevie and I have had some good times. I wonder if there are any conventions/expos coming up... Wouldn't that be fun if we could all go together?

Ne, Ben, I made a blog>.< Go visit, onegaishimasu.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home