Saturday, November 12, 2005

THE BENEFITS AND DANGERS OF BEING MASSIVE & INVINCIBLE

I am back into my workout routine.

For two weeks now I've been hitting the weights like there's (forget tomorrow) no five minutes from now. I'm starting to see the results, and my body is starting, slowly, to take back its old Massive & Invincible dimensions.

In days of yore (high school) my nickname was, in fact, Mister Massive & Invincible, because I worked out all the time. M&I. My old super-hero alter-ego. I've let that old physique come and go. But I find that, after letting myself go for a time, and I can always get it back. It just takes work, determination, and discipline. It's fun to be underestimated during an "off" period, then to come back strong and say "Sucka!"

I love the power of transformation. I love to see my body (or anyone else's) change by virtue of exercise and diet. It's like puberty all over again. Of course, the one who's morphing always sees it first. I'll notice the changes long before anyone else does, and, in fact, I'm already seeing them. But, in time, others will start to see them, too. I'll also need to take up some rigorous jogging for my cardio workout. Flatten the old stomach. Lose the extra fat around the face.

Naturally, working out and looking good are, in the end, not to please or impress others (much). True massiveness is its own reward.

Words to live by.

However, it is great when girls start looking at me. They treat me differently when I look different. They're just as bad as guys about that. Oh well, it's good for the ego. Customers are more respectful, too, as are co-workers. I know this seems shallow, but it is also very true. It helps to look and feel good. People respond differently to a happy, healthy, good-looking, self-confident person than they do to someone who seems edgy, weak, and lacking in self-confidence. However, it helps to have it together in the knowledege department, too. I can be as magnetic and charming as I'd like, but without knowing what the hell I'm doing, I might as well be .... Gilderoy Lockhart.

Which is why I'm going back to school.

Anyway ...
Last night, Chris came over and we watched "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". I made a stew with lots of curry powder, ground turkey, stewed tomatoes, carrots, onions, potatoes, etc. Very tasty. The movie was strange and entertaining. The oompa-loompas were all the same miniature Indian fellow, CGIed into mass numbers. Is Willy Wonka outsourcing? There were a couple of big laughs (killer squirells and the shameful truth about cotton candy), and Johnny Depp's performance as Willy Wonka (widely underrated) was, I thought, appropriately weird. And I was pleased that Christopher Lee cameoed as Willy's dad, in flashbacks. He's one of the all time greats, in my opinion, and a superior Dracula to all the others, except maybe Bela Lugosi. Shame on Peter Jackson for cutting his death-scene from The Lord of the Rings. I hope to be as healthy, attractive, and mentally fit when I'm in my eighties. Thank you, Mister Lee. You're an inspiration!

I never caught the zombie virus from work, and now I find myself in the midst of two consecutive days off. Very happy. Monday, I'm closing the store. This means I'll be able to go to school, early in the day, to start the sign-up process for classes. I'm going to whip this thing if it kills me!

As for now, I'm back to the weight room (M&I's secret hideout) for more repetitions!

P.S. I know the dangers of proclaiming oneself to be Massive and Invincible. It often facilitates a crashing and burning of the ego into "I'm not worthy" lowliness. I intend, after my workout, to mellow out and be cool. A puffed-up ego is often the cause of grave disappointment, resentment, stupid mistakes, and even temper tantrums. The M&I uppitiness is reserved, these days, for getting myself pumped so that I can get back to working out, and create the body I want.

Hopefully, this time, I'll have the same passion for school.

I also know that not everybody will love me just because I'm in shape.

They'll love me, rather, because I'm so sexy.

TODAY'S QUOTE (roughly):
"Working out in the gym is as satisfying to me as - um - cumming; having sex with a woman; cumming. So you can imagine how much I am in heaven. I am cumming in the gym. I am cumming at home. I am cumming when I pose in front of 5,000 people. I am cumming all the time."
--- Arnold Schwarzenager

English was not his first language.

6 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Bella said...

that used to be one of Jordan's favorite quotes to make when he was working out. His Arnold impression always makes me laugh.. hahah.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Bella said...

that used to be one of Jordan's favorite quotes to make when he was working out. His Arnold impression always makes me laugh.. hahah.

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of curiousity, what do you recommend for someone who doesn't experience "exercise high" and gets bored with most working out?

 
At 12:24 AM, Blogger Benjamin said...

Well, you might take up something that is interesting and that challenges you. But I would always start with something very easy and build up as time goes on. At first, do less than your actually capable of. Take it easy. It could be something as simple as riding a bike or walking around the block. It doesn't even have to be serious speed walking or anything. A simple, slow stroll will do. One-quarter mile the first time, then build up over a year or two. Pretty soon you'll be able to map out your whole neighborhood. Walk (or ride a bike if you want something with low impact) with head phones and your favorite music. Or go with a friend - someone who is a good conversationalist. A nice constitutional is very pleasant (I think) and rewarding. It's like a miniature adventure. You'd be surprised at the things you see when you're out walking. You develop favorite places; paths you enjoy, houses you like to pass by, etc. And there's always something to talk about when you get back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home