Tuesday, March 14, 2006

BREAK A LEG

Since my last entry, things have taken a turn for the weird. Danny, our problematic, often medicated corporate sales representative (CSR), has been up to his usual tricks. He faked a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and is now receiving workman's comp from Borders. The alleged maiming took place when he chased a shoplifter out of the building, which is something the Borders rule book expressly forbids. Nevertheless, he claimed the injury was further aggravated while working inside the store, and threatened to hire lawyers if his demands weren't met.

Danny limped around the book floor, for a week or so, with an exxaggerated stagger which righted itself, miraculously, whenever he thought nobody was watching. It's just the latest in a long line of strange behaviors on his part. That he pulled this ruse while going into the corporate sales department's busiest month of the year (with Education Awareness Week and the Plano Book Fair mounting) is only a coincidence, I am certain.

Meanwhile, all of his duties have been handed over to yours truly.

I have been given two days to learn how to do his job. After that, it's sink or swim. I'm like a babe in the woods. And, while Danny relaxes at home or (more likely) pursues his other business interests (on - let's face it - perfectly healthy shanks), the wolves are gathering all around me at Borders.

Needless to say, I'd like to strangle the freak.

Latte Thunder, who works in the cafe these days, used to do corporate sales for us, until the demands of college forced him to resign. He has since graduated and has more free time, but for some reason, they won't let him take over as the interim CSR. He has offered to do it, gladly and without a pay increase, but they simply won't let him leave the cafe. So, instead, they have shuffled all the supervisor's jobs around, temporarily, in a game of musical managerial chairs.

The position of CSR, I should note (though temporary), is technically a demotion for me.

Sometimes I miss the days of being a simple bookseller. It was so much easier then. And fun. Other times I think I would like to take a cashier job elsewhere and, simply, go back to school. I could make more money with fewer responsibilites as a register jockey at Home Depot, Lowe's, Costco, or Bed Bath & Beyond.

Borders asks a lot for what they pay us. People with the same duties at Barnes & Noble, make considerably more money. And, from my experience, they usually have a much better crew with which to work. It's my opinion that most of the kids who work for us at Borders would never make it at B&N.

Meanwhile, the new manager (Nancy) is inspiring angst and dissent with the many changes she is making. Personally, I'm willing to give her a chance. I think a large majority of the staff are acting like spoiled brats. They haven't seen drastic changes and dire times like I have. They never witnessed those dark days, so long ago at B&N, when the evil one took control. None of us who survived it will ever forget the monster who lived in the cave behind the break room.

Nothing could ever be that bad again. Just thinking about it gives me the shivers.

P.S. Megan is a long term employee who takes care of special orders and helps out in the cafe. She and I were joking about Danny today. It would be funny and ironic, we decided, if during his paid absence, he really did break his leg.

2 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Does everyone there have problems with maturity? I think you need to tell some people to grow up. Malingering? Using personal relationships to get your way? Just the kind of people it's nice to work with, huh?

I hope you're doing ok with the extra work. Gambarre.

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home