Friday, February 17, 2006

IT'S OUT THERE SOMEWHERE, WATCHING, WAITING, HUNGERING, LUSTING FOR FELINE AND HUMAN FLESH. GOD HELP US ALL!

I'm sitting here with nothing at all to write about.

Except ...

Rerun is begging me to let her outside, but the winds have picked up and it is getting very cold. I told her "no". Besides, there is a large (and -who knows - rabid?) racoon roaming the neighborhood. Last week I saw it, about half a mile from my house, as I was driving. I backed up to shine my headlights on it and get a better look, but it jumped down into a sewer drain and disappeared.

Just a few nights ago, as I was letting Rerun out to play, the racoon (I presume it was the same one) reappeared in my backyard. It jumped when I opened the noisy back door, then it scampered across the yard and scrambled over the fence.

Rerun saw it, too, and was afraid to go outside.

Then, last night, as I lay in bed (very late at night), I heard the side gate to my house being jostled vigourously about. Rerun heard it, too, and ran to the window. Then she moved all across the front of the house, from window to window, peering anxiously out into the night. She was, obviously, pursuing something that was traveling the length of my home's veneer. I grabbed a "weapon" and went out into the front yard to see what was afoot (though I had my suspicions). But first, I flickered the porchlight, furiously, to warn off any possible human intruders lest I actually have to face them with nothing but the walking staff I purchased at Scarborough Faire.

The yard was still and silent. So was the street. I saw nothing.
Nevertheless, I suspected yet another visit from our unexpected guest.

I think I'll name it Rocky.

4 Comments:

At 2:13 PM, Blogger Mara said...

Poor racoon, it doesn't deserve this censure. They don't hunt cats. Or people, for that matter. But keep rerun inside, just in case of the rabies.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Bella said...

Me Ben...me hunter. This Rerun...rerun huntress...we protect! hehe...I would've shit my pants if I heard the gate like that. :)

 
At 4:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Now somewhere in the black mountain hills of Dakota
There lived a young boy named Rocky Raccoon
And one day his woman ran off with another guy
Hit young Rocky in the eye Rocky didn't like that
He said I'm gonna get that boy
So one day he walked into town
Booked himself a room in the local saloon.

Rocky Raccoon checked into his room
Only to find Gideon's bible
Rocky had come equipped with a gun
To shoot off the legs of his rival
His rival it seems had broken his dreams
By stealing the girl of his fancy.
Her name was Magil and she called herself Lil
But everyone knew her as Nancy.
Now she and her man who called himself Dan
Were in the next room at the hoe down
Rocky burst in and grinning a grin
He said Danny boy this is a showdown
But Daniel was hot-he drew fast and shot
And Rocky collapsed in the corner.

Now the doctor came in stinking of gin
And proceeded to lie on the table
He said Rocky you met your match
And Rocky said, Doc it's only a scratch
And I'll be better I'll be better doc as soon as I am able.

Now Rocky Raccoon he fell back in his room
Only to find Gideon's bible
Gideon checked out and he left it no doubt
To help with good Rocky's revival."

~Quoth The Beatles!!!

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Junkill said...

We had a family of raccoons take over our attic at the old Waterview house. We called animal control (mind you, these are professional people who deal with dangerous animals all the time). They came out, went into the attic and casually asked, "What did you have? Squirrels?"

"Raccoons." we replied.

They packed up and left. They wouldn't deal with raccoons at all. And with good reason, they are tougher than dogs, smarter than cats and, when cornered, can take a mans fingers off.

Later, Chris and I were (not completely sober) stalking the backyard at night. The the dad raccoon (also named Rocky, oddly enough), turned to us and hissed like the Alien. We screamed and ran like you never heard and did not come back out in the dark again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home