Sunday, October 09, 2005

BEING FOR THE BENEFIT OF MISTER KITE!

Well, today is John Lennon's birthday. I thought I would celebrate with a brief write-up about one of his and the Beatles more obscure songs (if there is such a thing as an obscure Beatles song).

One of my favorite Beatle tunes is a lesser known track from the Sgt. Pepper album called "Being for the Benefit of Mister Kite!" It's a 19th century circus advertisement, in song form, in which the atmosphere of that time and place is re-created in lurid psychadelic style. Calliopes hoot and swirl about in a vortex, Ringo Starr's drums mimic the oom-pah-pah of a waltz, and John Lennon trills his terminal d's with the avarice and panache of a Dickensian ringmaster (ex. "challenge the worl-dah!"). I have always found the song eerie and delightful. And, what's more -- I love the story behind it.

The song's secret is that it was, in fact, stolen almost verbatim, from an antique circus poster.

Lennon found the old advert while shopping in Sevenoaks, Kent where the Beatles were making a vintage music video for "Strawberry Fields Forever". All the characters and events, and much of the language, can be found in the promotion for a show that took place in Lancashire in 1843.

Below are the lyrics and the poster.


For the benefit of Mister Kite
There will be a show tonight on trampoline.
The Hendersons will all be there
Late of Pablo Fanque's Fair - what a scene!

Over men and horses, hoops and garters,
lastly through a hogshead of real fire!
In this way, Mister K will challenge the world!

The celebrated Mister K
performs his feat on Saturday at Bishopsgate.
The Hendersons will dance and sing
as Mister Kite flies through the ring - don't be late!

Messrs. K and H assure the public
their production will be second to none,
and, of course, Henry the Horse dances the waltz!

The band begins at ten to six
when Mister K performs his tricks without a sound.
And Mister H will demonstrate,
ten summersets he'll undertake on solid ground.

Having been some days in preparation,
a splendid time is guaranteed for all.
And tonight Mister Kite is topping the bill!


Pictured at left is the real Pablo Fanque, Britain's first circus owner of African descent. He is just one of the many intriguing and seemingly arcane characters that Lennon lifted from the ring top ad. Click on the poster image (above) to get a larger view. (For a readable reproduction, without all the fancy script, try this: Read The Poster .) You'll recognize Mister Kite, the Hendersons, and the rest; all of whom were real people. There is, however, nothing about Henry the waltzing horse, but rather a Zanthus, whose dancing skills are not mentioned. Apparently, Henry was Lennon's embellishment. (And Mister H's somersets, Lennon calls summersets.)

"I wasn't very proud of that," said John of the song in 1980. "There was no real work. I was just going through the motions, because we needed a new song for the Sgt. Pepper album at that moment. I had to write it quick, because otherwise, I wouldn't have been on the album. Later, there were all kinds of stories about Henry the Horse being heroin. I had never even seen heroin in that period."

In a different interview, John called the song "cosmically beautiful".

Editorially speaking, I'm as ambivalent about Lennon's larceny as he is. One might call it cheating, but then again, inspiration can come from anywhere. Afterall, he wrote "A Day in the Life" based on stories in a newspaper!

To read all about Pablo Fanque, Mister Kite, the Hendersons, et al -- go here:
http://www.beatlesagain.com/bkite.html


Happy Birthday John! Thanks for the music.

5 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Junkill said...

Wow ... I love hearing about the origin of pop cultural monuments like songs, TV shows and the like. I had no idea that the whole circus "Mr. Kite" thing was a real thing and not just something that the boys made up. Fascinating.

On a more personal note, your writeup was very nicely done ... your writing chops are getting really good, keep up the good work!

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Benjamin said...

Thanks, Junkill. You've been really supportive of my blogs. And thanks for using the word "copse" in a previous entry. Now I've got a new weapon in my verbal arsenal. Nice picture of Kenny! (P.S. how can I get to your entries at Everything.com?) And, Mara, it's interesting that you liked "When I'm Sixty Four" better. I find that women tend (I say "tend") to like Paul the best (or George) (including my mom and most of my friends' mothers, too)Guys tend to dig John or Ringo. I actually knew a young woman who called herself a "St. Paulie Girl". (I, personally, think hell will freeze over before Sir Paul becomes a saint.) Anyway, I mentioned that I loved both John AND Paul, but she became convinced that I was what she called "a John person", and refused to talk to me about the Beatles ever again!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Junkill said...

Hehehe! I like copse too ... although, don't mess up or you'll have a corpse of trees (although, with Halloween coming and all).

I got jealous of all of y'all with your cool pictures, so I started looking through my pics and saw the Kenny picture. I'm sure he's proud!

To get to the E2 writeups, first go to e2 (of course) www.everything2.com ... then, in the search box at the top, type "Junkill". You'll go to my homepage on there. There will be a tab on the right that says "Number of writeups" and says 95 (I can hardly believe that) and if you click it, it will take you to a big magical list of all my work on there. Let me know if this doesn't work as advertised!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home