Monday, September 26, 2005

IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD!

Whew! What a day! It seems that everybody at work has gone crazy! First of all, Jerry L, the big boss, is out of town on vacation until tomorrow (one week total). Time for all the underlings to go insane with power, inability to cope, selfishness, laziness, pettiness, or some combination of all of these. There's this guy named Danny, really high strung, who thinks he's going to be the new CSR (Corporate Sales Rep), even though it's just a possibility. He's already trying to take over the position, bossing people around, sticking his nose in everybody's business, etc. He handles everything so badly, and he's so intense, hyperactive, and demanding that he's driving everyone in the office insane (and really scaring and confusing customers, too)! Poor Denise (our part-time events coordinator, and my friend) came in today to work on an event we're having with Rick Steves (the travel writer) and Danny went berserk about how things are being handled. He was such a nut that Denise started crying (after she let him have it so bad that he left for the day smoldering with anger). And then ... and then .. and then ... and I can't believe this is happening! ... Margaret (my chum, who really holds the office together and knows everything about every clerical procedure in the place) started typing up her resignation letter. She is citing Danny's craziness, Diana's selfishness, Jerry S.'s laziness and Tabitha's joint manipulation of the schedule and coercive power gluttony as reasons. I told her, if she left, I would hang myself from the rafters in the stock room with a note that says only "Margaret Don't Go!" taped to my chest! I was exaggerating, of course, but, seriously, our office will turn into Shite Swamp without her. She is, afterall, the office supervisor! I asked her if I was any part of the reason, and she said "No. You're great, Ben. I love you." And, afterall, I got her back for covering for me with that incident on the phone, because a very similar thing happened to her last week and, this time, I took care of it. We're even-Steven, in her book (and mine). But, yes, Borders has officially gone bonkers! This time, I'm the one who is cool and calm and collected and just trying to get the job done. Everyone else is going nuts and, frankly, in spite of it all, I'm in a pretty good mood! And I, for one, am going to Jerry L. and suggesting, with careful words, that Danny can't handle power, or deal with people, and that he just isn't ready for the position of CSR. Poor Jerry L. is going to have a lot on his plate when he gets back from vacation. Also, in two weeks, Margaret's notice will have taken effect and she'll be gone, Jerry and Tabitha are taking that week off to move in together, and now Diana is demanding that she get the week off, too, for something that she suddenly wants to do. I'm going to tell the boss that if he's offering overtime in the absence of all these people, then I'm his man. Work me to the max, and PAY me for it!!!!! On a lighter note, I found out today, from Tabitha (who, like Jerry, S. is someone I like, when she isn't playing games at work) that they have little witch hats for cats at Petco. I'm getting one for Rerun for the party. Also, I discovered a folk group called The Wyrd Sisters and Megan (our SPO -or Special Orders - person) and I have ordered some of their CDs and are going to cheat and listen to them at work and see if they're worth buying for the party. (For anyone who doesn't know, The Weird {or Wyrd} Sisters are a rock group who play at the dances and parties at Hogwarts}. I know, I'm a geek. But I like it!) NOTE: Will buy catnip tomorrow (my day OFF). Also, I'm not a vegetarian, afterall (see previous entries). Meat has worked its way back into my diet (starting with lasagne at Aunt Sally's) and, frankly, I don't mind.

4 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger Benjamin said...

No. Cafe Dan is a funny guy, I like him a lot. He's the self-proclaimed "Latte Thunder". Danny is skinny and covered with tattoos. I liked him for a time, but I think he has a chemical imbalance. He was on medication for a while, but cbecame so out-of-it that he was almost fired. Now he's off the meds, and bouncing off the walls! See you over at "Mara-Verse" in a minute!

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger Junkill said...

You know, I keep thinking about Jerry Lewis everytime you say Jerry L. It's kind of disturbing! (Just kidding!)

Also, as to the veggy-ness ... all things in moderation. Even JCP eats meat from time to time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home