Monday, February 25, 2008

Update

My dad is seriously ill. He's undergoing chemotherapy. There have been major complications, because he has also developed a blood clot in his arm. I've talked to him on the phone, but I can't go to New Mexico and see him since I just started a new job. My mom is staying with him, at the hospital, as much as possible. Apparently, he is the apple of everyone's eye, and all the nurses dote on him. Mom says he is very sweet to everyone except her. She, alone, sees his ornery side. Dad says everyone is very nice to him, but that his hospital bed is, basically, a torture chamber. This is only his second chemo treatment and, at one point, he was completely unable to move. My mom had to call 911 and they had to lift him out of bed and put him on a stretcher. Blood transfusions helped him get his strength back, a little. He can get around with a walker, but spends most of his time in bed hooked up to all kinds of tubes, etc. I don't know what will happen after the remaining treatments since they get progressively stronger. He is unable to take his arthristis medicine due to the other chemicals, and mom says his hands are getting even worse than before.
I'll be sending him some humorous books and sudoku I picked up at work. Cards (or gifts) can be sent to Robert and Helen South. 110 La Loma. Taos, New Mexico 87571.

4 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, Blogger Mara said...

Ben, I'm so sorry. I hope he starts doing better really soon, that the chemo kicks in and does what it's supposed to do.

Are you sure we shouldn't send some *Special* Brownies? I've heard they can really help...

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Bella said...

I'm with Mara on that one - "special" brownies are known for helping with cancer pain

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow this is a bad post to drop in to say hi on. I'm very sorry about your dad. I hope he gets better soon.

It sounds like he must be a character!

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Cara said...

Sorry about your Dad, Ben. I'm still here. <3

 

Post a Comment

<< Home