Thursday, January 24, 2008

Lord of the Ringos

It's a little known fact ... that in the late 1960's, when the Beatles were searching for projects to occupy their creative energies, talk of a Fab Four/Tolkien animated film was bandied about. Think Yellow Submarine with orcs instead of blue meanies. The casting was to be as follows:

George Harrison as Gandalf

Paul McCartney as Frodo Baggins

Ringo Starr as Sam Gamgee

and John Lennon as Gollum (though I, personally, imagine him as more of a Gandalf)

I don't think this project would have flown, but it is, at least, an interesting historical footnote. But I wonder what LOTR-based Beatle songs would've sounded like. "Happiness is a Wormtongue". "Luthien in the sky with" ... no, no, no. Nevermind.

I hope I haven't ruined either of these fine artistic snacks for anybody. Don't blame me if you have visions of Frodo singing "Hey Jude" to Gollum.

2 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger Mara said...

THANK GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY that they just decided to do some more drugs and make more music instead of this.

You know how some combinations make both halves better? Like chocolate and peanut butter, or green eggs and ham?

Beatles+Tolkien is NOt one of those heavenly combinations. I think it would forever diminish both in my mind.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Junkill said...

Sam sings:
"The long and winding road...
That leads, to Mount Doom
Is almost at its end
Climbing to Orodruin
Don't worry Mr. F
I will get you there!"

sorry...you know me. I had to do it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home