Friday, April 21, 2006

THE MESSAGE IS YOU

The most remarkable thing about today was that I solved a mystery that has plagued me for over twenty years!

On a misty day in 1983, I was driving around in my old Camaro on a street called Tulane. It was near the house where I grew up. There was a song playing on the radio (on Q102 "Texas' Best Rock", or KZEW "The Zoo", or KEGL "The Eagle" - I don't remember which, but that's all I ever listened to in those days, so it had to be one of the three).

It was sort of new-wave, sort of straight rock, but melodic and slow -- almost ethereal (if not for the drums) and spooky. Guitar and synthesizers. Very eighties. Good gloomy day music. The lyrics were a bit obscure, but I think the singer is looking for hookers out on the waterfront. I thought he sounded like the classic punk kid having issues with women, because he sees them as a foreign and enticing mystery, but not as anyone he can get to know as a person.

As a teenager, I ate this stuff up.

The melody and a few of the lyrics have stuck in my head ever since, but I could never figure out who recorded it. I seriously believed that this would be a mystery I would carry to my grave. -- which was alright with me, actually. Life needs mysteries.

But, of course, that didn't stop me from trying to solve it.

I asked every expert I knew; from my knowledgable friends (like Chris, Suzi, and Enormous J.J.) and Matt the music department manager at B&N, to the folks in various and sundry music stores. I often annoyed people by humming or singing a few of the lines or the chorus. People roll their eyes when you do this (especially in music stores). I don't blame them, but - dammit - I was desperate.

They had all kinds of suggestions. I suspected somebody like Tommy Tutone, the Tubes, or even Golden Earring. Blasts from the past. One hit wonder types -- and maybe this was the lesser known follow-up single. Every OHW has one.

Over the years, it became a Holy Grail of sorts. I checked the track listings of every possible suspect in every music store in town. I'd get an inspiration - Glass Tiger, Steel Breeze - and run down to the mall to see if maybe it was them. But it never was. The search, it seemed, would never end.

Then, with the advent of the internet, it became easier to access song lyrics with just a few words on Google. I tried for years, with different combinations of the words as I remembered them, but could never locate the lost song.

I was beginning to wonder if I just imagined it.

And then today, the misty weather brought to mind that long sought tune. I remembered the fateful day in my Camaro and the DJ saying the name of the song and artist ... and me not writing it down or remembering it.

So, for old time's sake, I got online, went to Google and typed the following:

"JUST LIKE A SECRET CODE THAT NOBODY KNOWS" LYRICS

And there it was.

"The Message is You".

From 1983.

By Gary Myrick.

Who?

I bolted over to the guy's website to find out more. It turns out he's from Dallas. A local boy. Apparently, he had some national success with a song called "She Talks in Stereo" from the same basic period. I sorta seem to remember such a song. But then again ...

Anyway, according to the site, Myrick experienced a muscial rebirth in the late 1990's and is still making music.

So there it is.

Being that I haven't heard the song in like 23 years, it's hard to say if I'd still enjoy it. It could be horribly dated, and I'm sure that my (and probably Gary Myrick's) sexual politics have changed quite a bit since then. There was, however, a great download on the site, of Myrick doing a cover of the Rolling Stones' "As Tears Go By". I was suitably impressed by his talent. But I think I'll probably remember the long and laborious search for the mystery song long after I've forgotten (again) the tune or the words.

I don't know if I want to blow any dough on a 20 year old album-become-CD just for one song.

Still .. I mean, come on. To hear it again would, at least, be an interesting experience. And I've searched for so long. Even if the song itself is anti-climactic, it might just be worth a listen, to reward a lifetime's search.

Maybe I'll laugh.

The eighties.

Anyway ... I found the Grail.

5 Comments:

At 5:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That's so cool! What an interesting story! And what do you mean you're not sure you should buy the CD? I would have bought it as soon as I figured out who the singer was! I mean, how can you have this song that has haunted you for more than 20 years AND NOT WANT TO HEAR IT AGAIN?

I understand being afraid you wouldn't still like it, though. Things are always like that. Sometimes a song or a book or whatever really sticks with you more because of the situation you encountered it in and the feelings it brings you about a certain time or place than for what it was really about... At least that is the case with me.

 
At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem with finding it is, now what? It's been a driving force (albeit in a small way) for so long, and now it's settled. I'm with Marie on this one: how can you not want to hear it again as soon as possible?

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Benjamin said...

I don't know, the only place one is likely to find a Gary Myrick CD is on his website. And, what with my birthday coming up and all ...

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh. You never know!

Let me tell you a story.

Late one night, back when all we had was broadcast tv, children, I was flipping around and found a music show of some sort. It was cheap looking, rather cheap looking.

But what caught my eye and ear was the band that was playing. The singer looked a bit like a vampire kin to Michael Hutchence in dark shades and black leather. The music was heavy, but featured choral backup and a lot of bass. It was totally cool.

Never caught the name of the band or the song.

Years later, 10 or 15, I heard a song on the radio that sounded like it might have come from the same band as so long ago! I bought the album, Vision Thing by Sisters of Mercy.

The song I had heard on television was a rare promo thingus with a performance of This Corrosion.

They're one of my favorite bands.

Weigh what you risk losing on both sides of the equation!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Junkill said...

Man, that is a great tale! I had a minor version of such a thing happen several years back. The first "rock" song I got into was this idiotic disco thing, I had no idea of the title or lyrics, just the tune. So a few years back I got a compilation CD of "1977's greatest hits" and there it was. I didn't even know until I played the CD ... Wham Bam Shang-a-Lang by Silver ... terrible, but it brings back enough memories that I enjoy hearing it.

You may be able to download the Myrick song from iTunes or something. If I can find it, perhaps I'll snag it for you (at 99 cents a song, why not?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home