Thursday, April 27, 2006

IT DOES A HOBBIT GOOD

I spent the day knocking down an enormous brick wall for Aunt Sally. Armed with hammers, chisels, and crowbars (but nothing automatic), I fought a destructive and costly war with a mighty foe of rock and mortar. I had to battle vicious scorpions and spiders, too, and a billion swarming ants. Sally paid me back with food and money. Saturday is her birthday, so I gave her a book called Fairyopolis. It's cut from the same cloth as Dragonology, Wizardology, and Egyptology. It's strictly for children and the young at heart, and not for any of those sophisticated in-betweeners (meaning "adults") who are too cool to use their imaginations.

Sally is keen to get me the Gary Myrick CD, mentioned in a previous entry, for my upcoming birthday. But it's very hard to find.

For lunch, Sally made an aparagus patty-melt. I'd never eaten one before. She'd never cooked one before. It was delish!! I'll get the recipe and post it here, so you can all try it.

And then tonight Chris, Joel, Sally and I all had some kind of super spicy enchiliadas (loaded with Rotell). We watched a BBC mystery, and I passed out on the couch and had delicious dreams about asparagus patty-melts. We had eclairs for dessert. And I drank a tall glass of milk.

P.S. I recently got a myspace account, but the whole set-up seems sort of silly and vain: how many friends have you got in your network? Well I've got more than that! Etc, etc. Repeat ad nauseum. There are lots of young jetstters blathering about whatever it is they talk about. However, it's amazing how you can network. I've already met up with most of my dear blog buddies (although Mara, Marie, and Bevy have yet to reply). One person, however, has refused my offer of online frienship outright, but that's OK. This is someone so boring, ordinary, and average that they don't really belong among my exceptional friends.

On the brighter side, so far I've located Gina (my friend/sometimes sweetheart from long ago - circa 1985), Dana (a marvelous young lady) who used to work at B&N, and a little girl named Tandy who used to shop there. Actually she found me. Don't ask me how, because I signed in with an alias and, as far as I can tell, we don't have any mutual people in our friends network. She used to keep my lonely soul company, back in the music department, while her dad shopped or read. Sometimes she would pony express notes back and forth between Lisa, who was stuck in the kids department, and myself in music. That was fun, and writing about it makes me realize that I miss Lisa.

Anyway, myspace is no match for blogger as a place to blog. But, at least, it is kind of funny to see mugshots of all of one's friends displayed like a case file for a bank robbery. Pretty Boy Jordan, Guapo-face Gus, Insanius the mastermind, Fingers Firechild the safe picker, Amanda the Dragon Lady, Trigger-happy Tracy. What a rogue's gallery! Print 'em and book 'em!

2 Comments:

At 9:32 PM, Blogger Mara said...

Gosh, Ben, you never seemed like the MySpace type to me. Ah well. Consider me a "real life" friend instead.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ben, I'm already on myspace (thought I don't use it much because facebook is better), and I searched for you but I didn't find you. If you are using a psuedonym I guess that's why.

Can I have a cool criminal name whenever I find you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home