Saturday, December 10, 2005

WHY I DON'T LIKE C.S. LEWIS AND HIS SILLY CHRONICLES

1) C.S. Lewis was a fundamentalist Christian, opposed to scientific theory of any kind (to an almost ridiculous degree - witness his argumentative epistles to {and in to response to} Arthur C. Clarke).

I am spiritual. But I am not a fundamentalist of any kind.

2) C.S. Lewis stole his idea for an alternate reality (with maps, etc.) directly from his pal (and mine) J.R.R. Tolkien. This is a fact. They knew each other at Oxford. Professor Tolkien was most displeased. As am I.

(Note: Though I love Tolkien, his nature-boy dismissal of almost all technology is as naive and annoying to me as Lewis' blind dismissal of science. However, Tolkien gave us the Ents. I love Ents! Technology is not necassarily evil, but we are killing nature, people, and it would be cool if the trees could speak and, if needed, fight back.)

3) C.S. Lewis used his literature to preach his Christian beliefs. Tolkien (no less a Christian) separated his religion from his fiction. (Thank you. Professor.) I might almost go see the damn flick, if it weren't such an obvious allegory for the allegory that is Christianity. The Lion being crucified and coming back to life to save Narnia, is an impossible image to brush off. It's not as gruesome, I suppose, as Mel Gibson's torturous (and literal) retelling of the Jesus death-myth, but no less obvious to anyone with a modicum of insight. I might actually prefer Gibson's straight- forward Christian movie to Lewis' sneaking around if it weren't so all-fired anti-Semitic.

4) The underlying (Freudian?) message in Narnia is, as far as I can tell, sexist. Women are bad. Men are good. Don't get me wrong, villains are juicy roles and I think there should be more wicked women in the cinema (and I usually hate it when someone says a movie is racist or sexist because the villains are not white and male), but in a story as archetypal as this (clearly allegorical to a divorce) does the woman/wife/mother have to be shown as Satan and dear old dad as -what? - God? And isn't the portrayl of the Christian devil as a woman, and its savior as a very male lion, also allegorical (once again) to the so-called wrongness of the feminine-based religions which preceeded the dominance of the macho male Judeo-Christian god in old Albion?

(Another note: Once again, though I love Tolkien, his archetypal angel-women characters are almost as naive and annoying to me as Lewis' satanic bitch imagery. However, Tolkien gave us Eowyn; a major step forward and a role model for feminist fantasy heroines for all time.)

5) I've read the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and I thought it was trite. Even for a children's book. J.K. Rowling, for one, is a far superior writer (in my opinion). And wicked, too.

6) The movie was largely funded by Philip Anshutz, a huge supporter of George W. Bush and public proponent of socially conservative entertainment. He's the owner of the L.A. Kings. He is also aspiring to become a movie theater mogul/monopolist; already owns United Artists Theaters and is gunning for more.

I'm not proposing censorship of this movie or any other with a Christian message, funded by conservatives, or starring conservative actors (Bruce Willis is one my favorite movie stars, as was Mel Gibson before he went psycho). Nor do I completely disagree with all things conservative (just most of them).

It's just that I find too much abhorent about C.S. Lewis and his work. The obvious bibical browbeating, the sexism, and the anti-pagan symbolism are just too much for me. Especially when the major financial proponent of this material (Anshutz) is trying to corner the market. After Peter Jackson's Ring trilogy (and it's fun-loving {peace loving} but courageous hobbits) and the Harry Potter films (with their self-reliant, rule bending threesome {and their adult confidantes}) this movie about plucky, wide-eyed little sheep, who don't dare test the patience of Aslan the godlike Lion (or think for themselves, lest they be purged like Judas Iscariot), seems like a huge step backwards for kids.

And when St. Nick (?) shows up at the end and arms the quizless squirts for war ... well, merry Christmas!

It's possible that I've misread Lewis' intentions. And I don't really dismiss all things Christian. A great gospel singer singing a great gospel song makes me feel what Christians must feel. But we don't think the same.

Censorship, no.

Just a personal boycott. It won't make a lick of difference, but one must act upon one's conscience. There are plenty of people who would find some of my favortie movies and books (and music) offensive. I would urge them, by all means, to stay away. And so, I'm urging my self (and anyone who thinks what I just put forth makes any sense) to stay away, too. It's your call, obviously, but I, for one, am a no-show.

Thank you.

Gets off soap box.

P.S. Viva Tolkien!!!

TODAY'S QUOTE:
I'll take a wizard over a lion any day.
- Me

6 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger Bella said...

Score Ben. That was very well written my friend. I'll admit that the only reason I would want to see it would be cause I'm having fantasy/fiction withdrawls in the movie realm. Aside from that, I too am on the bandwagon. Just cause you're a woman and a witch does not make you Satan. If you even believe such a selfish notion exists...pa. humans.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Ben, you put into words everything I think. I just kind of go around going "But... but... It's not even well written!"

Not planning on going to see it.

 
At 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting. This was one of the "classics" that I never got around to as a child (despite "One Ring to Rule them All.." being the "Once upon a time.." of my house). I always thought that it was supposed to be good, but many of the concepts nagged at me, particularly the children. Weird. Ah well, as Lum has said about the trailer, "It looks too... clean. It looks fake." Maybe that was more telling than he knew.

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Junkill said...

Magnificently written, lucid and carefully argued Mr. B! I actually started out halfway enthused about this project (months ago) ... then it was like ... mmmm ... not for me so much.

I DO think there needs to be more conservative-based entertainment, but that is just to shut them up about how "liberal" Hollywood is.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Mara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're lucky, Ben. When Philip Pullman critized Narnia in print, he got a firestorm of criticism in his face--if I recall maybe even death threats.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home