Thursday, August 24, 2006

A FEW WORDS AND LOTS OF PICTURES

I have been remiss in my blogging duties of late. I've started a new job and I guess I just haven't been in the mood for blogging. I work with Jordan and Amanda at Whole Foods. It's hard work, but fundamentally rewarding in a way the book store wasn't. I see Amanda almost everyday (large with child), but I have worked with Jordan only once. We're scheduled together tonight, so that should be fun.

I am trying to get back into school, gathering up various and sundry transcripts from the days of old. Time is running out and I hope that I can get in this semester. No panic if I don't. I just need an outlet outisde
work so that I can feel like there's more to life than my job. And I'd really like to finish my long neglected degree. Just for me. Not for my family or to impress women or to make Rerun proud. Just for Benchenzo

Last weekend, Lisa and I took a little trip to White Rock Lake. I only took a few photos, because we were running around a lot; to the Bath House Cultural Center, the woods, the Arboretum, Picasso's Gourmet Pizzeria, and various locations where the Lady of the Lake has been known to appear. I think you can see her standing next to the water in the middle photo below.



I've taken to reading a lot of young adult fantasy and I think I would like to write some myself. First, I must work out the characters and the plot, the theme(s), and all the details. I've also got to go back to school and take a freakin' math course (probably more than one, in preparation for the one that counts) which means nothing to me (other than the fact that it will be the last nail in the coffin of my college education). I suppose I could change my attitude about math, but can a fish change its attitude about living on dry land or a bird change its attitude about flying? NO! They can't! Course ... I'm not a fish. I'm a man. And a very extraordinairy and adaptable man at that.

My new job has prevented me from attending Thursday night dinner at Sally's house the last two weeks. I find myself missing the mystery/dinner gang and wishing I could have that one night of relaxation with good food and friends.


I've recently become aware of my green thumb!!! I have collected a massive jungle of plants and, after several months, they are thriving and living happily in my newly appointed garden room. Of course, I don't know what any of them are called, because I'm not Pomona Sprout. However, Amanda says they are all fairly easy to maintain.

Yesterday, I picked up more transcripts (from awful old Quad C {Collin County Community College}), had lunch with Mara, and went to Borders to officially tender my resignation. That way I can get all my vacation pay. It was a weird feeling. I kept wanting to help people and straighten books. But talking with employees convinced me that the place is still subject to evil forces and is no longer a welcome port for the good ship Benchenzo. I left with mixed feelings, but I'm sure I made the right choice by moving on with my life.

I got a little angry when my car's engine light came on (and ranted to poor Mara), because I really need my car to work right now. But I got home and gave it all the fluids and rest it needed, and now everything seems to be alright.

Note: my backyard is, mysteriously, teeming with dragonflies!

3 Comments:

At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for school! School is cool (or at least, that's what I keep telling myself as I am coming dangerously close to a decade of college). It'll be fun- what do you want to major in? Creative writing?

One of these days I'm going to be purusing the fantasy section, and I'm going to run into you at your Nth book signing for your NY Times best seller. Then I'll be all shy when I ask if you remember me from 'back in the day' and ask for your autograph.

 
At 5:00 PM, Blogger Junkill said...

Ooooh Dragonflies are super cool!

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Mara said...

Don't worry, I can stand up to a little ranting. Good luck with your math classes, and if you need help I can help you. Online or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home