Friday, September 02, 2005

MYSTERIES IN THE ARMS OF MORPHEUS

Tired tonight, but I'm going to tough it out and go for a nice jog and a workout. I've been sleeping well and working hard. Went to Aunt Sally's last night for Thursday dinner (as I have, regularly, since 1988). It was a delicious chicken dish with broccoli and rice. I mean it was good! I stuffed myself, then I fell asleep while everybody else watched a British mystery ... Inspector Limey or something ... er, no ... Lindley. I think that was it. Inspector Lindley. Or was it Lindsey? I dunno... I passed out. I liked what little I saw, though. Somebody was killing people and the inspector was trying to figure out whodunnit. Eventually, and with the help of his game sidekick, he deduced the identity of the murderer and solved the case. The end.
Same as every other week, only they threw in twists: his mother and brother were involved. Did they do it? If so, which would come first, his family or the law? Or what if someone was killing people for sympathetic reasons? Or what if it was the the yeti?
Anyway, Thursday nights are always a hoot. I'm really thankful for them, even if I spend the latter half snoring on the couch while everyone else watches tensely as yet another Brit goes psycho on his/her countrymen. I love the BBC. They're all so bloody polite: "Pardon me, terribly sorry, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to murder you."
"Oh, blast! And I was so looking forward to cricket tomorrow!"
"Very well, then. Tea and biscuits first, then I'll kill you."
(For visuals, see Eddie Izzard's Dress to Kill.)
Acually, British TV is something I love. Most of the mysteries, comedies and other programmes outclass their American counterparts by a mile. I think it's all the Shakespeare and the reading and picture galleries that does it for them. (I only fall asleep, because I'm so tired from work, and British TV, while excellent, is often a very sedate affair.)
And Sally is a great hostess.

I hope to start making more meaningful entries, soon. For now, though, I am content. I just want to go for a nice long run on a warm evening, then come home and read a good book.

1 Comments:

At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you mind? I'm counting matches...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home