Wednesday, August 31, 2005

HAPPY SOLITUDE

I worked in the yard all day. Mowed, pulled weeds, cut away obnoxious, overgrown tree limbs. Looks nice.
I kept returning to my computer to check the internet for updates about New Orleans. Things just kept getting worse.
Tonight I traveled south to the Richland College campus; my favorite of all the local college facilities (except for SMU). They have an excellent jogging track of about a mile, complete with that springy, spongy turf that keeps one's joints from going all Joe Namath. The trail winds away from the buildings and back into fields and creeks behind a complex of tennis courts. There are soft rolling hills and grass that plays in the wind. Yellow light glows in the windows of houses beyond the dark fields. It's a quietly exciting place to be, and a great place to jog. If I was hierarchical, I'd put it at the top of my list, with the Chisolm Trail, near my house, not far behind. I have yet to jog at White Rock Lake, although I understand it's the place to run in Dallas. Maybe that's why I've stayed away. Give me the meditative solitude of the Richland (College) Hills any day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home